Thursday, November 17, 2011

Establishing Hierarchy

I have always been taught about hierarchy in my design classes and have heard it repeated by many of my fellow designers throughout my education in graphic design; yet I still feel like I need to learn more about it. Reading this article has really helped my understanding of it.

One thing I learned was the importance of contrast. I didn't realize it was so important to creating a successful layout. A layout with little to no contrast would be boring and uninviting to viewers, and would appear static. The intended message would not be received by the viewer. However, by creating visual differences on the page, such as changing type size, juxtaposing negative space to a bold image or headline, or changing colors, the viewer is invited in to the page. Their eye should be led around the layout with ease in a logical manner.

Another important element I learned about is scale. Scaling different visual elements on the page should be done with purpose; it should make sense and support the design to establish hierarchy. If done haphazardly, it will only confuse the viewer. Scale changes should relate to all other elements on the page. They help to direct a person's eye around the layout as well as create hierarchy.

Finally this article made me think about the quantity of elements on the page. I had always thought about repetition being used to create hierarchy on a layout, but never really thought about quantity. I've found through a process of trial and error that oftentimes, for me, at least, it's better to reduce your layout to the bare essentials. I love negative space so this approach appeals to me a great deal. I've tried the additive method of design - intentionally adding the amount of visual elements on the page to better communicate the message I'm trying to get across. However, this often ends up with still too many design elements being added, resulting in a cluttered-looking composition. More negative space and less visual elements on the page just appeals to me far more.

No comments:

Post a Comment